Many are the times when we speak of salt as that ingredient that makes food tasty, but we never take our time to look further and understand how important salt really is. It is not just in the sweetness or the flavour that it adds to our meals, but there is so much more to salt than we know about. Besides the taste, salt is very important to the body for nutritional reasons, and this is something that most of us are unaware of. Perhaps it is time you actually saw more to salt than just another ingredient when you are cooking. It is time we started looking at salt further and deeper than that white granular substance that we add to our food.
Salt, rather sodium chloride is such an important component than we probably are aware. It has been used as money especially when you go back into the historical times. Because of its monetary value back then, the salt that we regard lowly today was so important that it often caused wars between kingdoms and nations. As a matter of fact back then it was a rich cultural practice to offer salt and bread to visitors and this was taken as a sign of appreciation and respect. There are also some cultures where salt was used in making pottery. However, there is so much more to salt than even the history, taking into consideration some of the nutritional facts that we have right in front of us today. Here is an interesting fact, by the time an average individual dies, they normally use up close to 28,000 pounds of salt in the course of their lifetime
Unknown to many of us, we really do need salt in order to survive, so without it we can as well consider our lives meaningless. Let’s look at some of the reasons why you need to have salt in your life so that we can at least learn a thing or two about how to make the best use of it. Basically salt is made up of two components, chlorine and sodium hence its chemical name sodium chloride. However, the mineral name for salt is halite. All of the salts that we have today originate from the seas and oceans that fill the earth. These water bodies have a rich content of salt in deposits underground which are normally exploited by mining companies and eventually we have the salt we have in the kitchen.
The body has 4-8 ounces of salt whose task is to help in keeping the blood volume in the body normal while at the same time making sure that there is a good balance of water inside and outside the body cells. Besides that salt also goes so far when it comes to digestion and making sure that the heart beats perfectly. Interestingly enough only around 5% of the salt that is mined is what we find in our kitchens as table salt. The other 95% ends up in chemicals and chemical processes especially in the manufacturing and allied industries.